Director of People and Talent
First Mile is London's leading recycling company for businesses, growing at 30% annually with £25m sales and 250 staff. We are looking for a pragmatic and intelligent Director of People and Talent who will have overall responsibility for our people strategy, which will build on our incredible culture, people and purpose. As a member of the Senior Management Team, your role will be demanding and there is a large agenda waiting, making this an incredibly rewarding role.
One of the 1,000 companies to inspire Britain in 2016, 2017 & 2018, First Mile are disrupting our industry and leading the way in sustainability by making it easy for businesses to recycle. An ethical, exciting and entrepreneurial business, we are passionate about providing amazing and innovative services for our customers, with over 5,000 joining every year. Our vision is to grow First Mile into the one of the biggest environmental brands in London and the UK.
The Director of People and Talent will support the growth of First Mile by attracting, developing, and engaging talent in order to build high-performance teams and to make First Mile an amazing place to work.
As a key member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), this role will be an HR Partner to the business. The successful candidate will provide strategic HR leadership and support to enable the business to achieve its growth and performance goals while continuing to reinforce the positive and collaborative culture that exists at First Mile.
Talent and Performance – support the building of high-performance teams across the business:
· Agree and implement a talent strategy that delivers effective, modern, and consistent hiring, performance management, and learning and development, to be adopted across the business
· Strategy to include, but not limited to:
o Consistent, modern hiring process that supports hiring managers to get the right people with the right values
o With Marketing, develop First Mile’s employer brand to drive inbound talent
o Headhunting support for key hires, either internal or external
o Succession planning for key roles
o Employee journey mapping to deliver amazing engagement from hiring to onboarding through to development
o Refresh and implement a new performance management process which reinforces values and behaviours that support the business' commercial and societal goals
o Construct and oversee a simple graduate scheme that helps attract and retain high-quality recent graduates by providing learning and variety across a number of functions
o Build a learning and development programme that focuses on measurable deliverables and milestones for all employees, to ensure high performance, engagement and achievement within the teams
o Provide support and training for line managers to embed the above
o Manage compensation strategy to ensure the company is a competitive employer in terms of pay, rewards, and benefits. Regularly review pay framework and benefits package to improve recruitment and retention
Culture – making First Mile an amazing place to work:
· Alongside the SLT, take ownership for the culture strategy, ensuring First Mile consistently activate their culture and live it through their behaviours and values
Support – providing a solid foundation of HR support for the business:
· Provide support to all employees across key HR issues such as holiday, benefits and payroll, as well as performance management and disciplinaries
· Review policies to ensure all are necessary, concise and clearly understood by employees and managers
· Adopt simple employee feedback tools, e.g. pulse surveys, and ensure that feedback is acted on and used to improve teams
· Ensure employees have clear channels of support from the business if they have any problems; to include HR support and escalations/whistle-blowing processes
· Set up and support cross-functional teams to support the business in areas such as diversity and inclusion and environment
· Support the wider business by managing the company’s compliance with key certification such as GDPR and London Living Wage
· Specify reports and analyse data to ensure our approach is fair and inclusive, e.g. gender pay gap reporting and equal opportunities monitoring
· Senior HR experience: The successful candidate will have had senior HR roles, reporting to a CEO, with demonstrable success of setting and running the HR strategy for a business. Please give evidence of your experience, including roles held, organisation name, dates, scale (i.e. business revenue and FTE) and any notable achievements you may wish to highlight.
· Culture: First Mile is known for and proud of its excellent culture, and maintaining and enhancing this will be a key aspect of this role. Please give evidence or an example impact story of your experience in promoting and developing culture, including L&D and talent engagement.
· Business partnering and commercial acumen: First Mile’s people are key to the success of the organisation, and the successful candidate will be an HR partner to the business and an integral member of the SLT. The successful candidate will have strong commercial acumen and experience of aligning and leveraging HR to support and grow a business. Please give evidence of your experience.
· Motivation: The successful candidate will be a highly bright and dynamic individual, excited by the potential of working for a fast paced, values-led business with an environmental mission. Please succinctly describe your motivation for applying for this role.
In your application, please ensure your CV and written statement cover the following areas:
- Evidence of your experience, including roles held, organisation name, dates, scale (i.e. business revenue and FTE) and any notable achievements you may wish to highlight.
- Evidence or an example impact story of your experience in promoting and developing culture, including L&D and talent engagement.
- Evidence of a strong commercial acumen and experience of aligning and leveraging HR to support and grow a business.
In return we offer a six figure package. There will be 25 days holiday, rising to 30 with service, and lots of employee benefits to boot.
If this sounds like you, send us your CV with a covering letter indicating how you feel you can add value in this role.